Wednesday 3 December 2014

Timed Assessment - In the Role of the Hair Designer/Assesor

These images below are what my partner, Rachael created. She followed my step by step images and the instructions I clearly stated. These were in front of her whilst she created the hairstyle in the time given. Rachael turned up on time to this assessment and was prepared with the tools and materials needed to achieve the look properly. As Rachael progressed step by step, she made sure that I was comfortable in my seat and made me aware of what she was going to be doing every time she moved onto a different part of the hairstyle.

Her timing was good overall. She managed to get everything finished with extra time to touch anything up that needed to be. The extensions were one of the last materials added to the hair, and she did a great job of hiding them in my natural hair. This was helped also through my design as it was all being curled at the back so you could not differentiate the two (natural and extensions).

Rachael was sticking to the step by step which I feel helped her get through the assessment at ease. The heart shape was created well, although I feel it could have been a little more backcombed and messier.

There are a couple of other improvements I would have made if I were doing the hairstyle on myself. Firstly, Rachael had not ever practised this hair design on me beforehand therefore I had no confidence in her before the assessment as I did not know how aware she was of  timing, techniques and communication. This was another reason why I had changed my original design in the first place.

Rachael's backcombing technique did not seem to be working at times as she was not putting the comb right through the hair and back combing slowly and carefully. She seemed to be rushing it therefore the technique was not quite working. She soon picked up on that and changed the way in which she backcombed which seemed to improve it.The french plaits along the side of my head are not so visible in the photographs therefore I would have liked her to have made them a little bigger so they were more noticable. This would have helped to have shown off her own technical ability.

I changed my hair design last minute as I was so worried that my previous design would have been too technical for her. It involved a lot of French plaiting and I know Rachael was not that comfortable with that. If she had practised, I could have been there to encourage and make her feel more comfortable about completing my design. Next time, if a partner does not communicate with me, I will not change my design as this could potentially make my grade lower than it should have been.

Although I was very worried before the assessment, I am really pleased with the outcome and I think it worked in both my partner and my own favour of changing the hairstyle last minute. I feel the hair extensions were a great touch for creating a contemporary look.





No comments:

Post a Comment